Bellarine Keen-Agers Table Tennis Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10th February 2022 AGM - Presidents Report

Go down

10th February 2022 AGM - Presidents Report Empty 10th February 2022 AGM - Presidents Report

Post by Graeme Beardwood Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:28 pm

Bellarine Keen-Agers Table Tennis Club
Annual General Meeting – 10th February 2022
President’s Report for the Period of January-December 2021

This is my fourth President’s Report and it’s hard to believe that it is almost 12 months since we held our last AGM.   It is wonderful to see how many of our members have turned up today.

I certainly want to recognise all our members who persevered through the various periods of lockdown and restrictions and have got back into playing table tennis again.   Unfortunately as with the start of last year, our member numbers are down due to either health issues; uncertainty of COVID conditions; or have simply found another avenues for their energies on what would normally be a table tennis session.   We have moved from a membership base of 62 last year, to 46 now.

Normally in my annual report, I cover off the highlights that occurred during the year.  Even though we had a COVID impacted year, there certainly were achievements during the year:
• We started the year with 52 members and through various forms of promotion or ‘word-of-mouth’ we were able to rebuild our numbers to 62 by the end of the year
• We were successful in gaining a Grant of $2,000 from the City of Greater Geelong, as part of their Healthy and Connected Communities scheme.   This $2,000 covered the cost of three new table tennis tables as well as some additional playing equipment.
• We held three very successful social events ….
i. A catered social dinner at the Hall in April
ii. Our Christmas Dinner at the Clifton Springs Golf Club in early December
iii. And so far this year, after two attempts, we held a morning tea for our past members, which 9 past members came along and thoroughly enjoyed the morning and being able to catch up with friends.

Even though COVID impacted on our playing operations, the 2021 Committee worked throughout the year to not only make sure these achievements came to fruition but more importantly, that we kept our members informed as to what was happening.  

Now for 2022, bearing in mind that there is still some degree of uncertainty of what is possible with COVID being very much a part of our lives.

We are still maintaining a positive stance, so our objectives for 2022 are, in no order of priority:
• Subject to COVID concerns, we would like to explore the possibility of revisiting Intra-Club visits, particularly Portarlington and Ocean Grove.
• Continued review of our playing sessions to not only level out attendances between the three morning sessions, but to ensure that each of the three sessions remain viable.  We have already had to cancel several Tuesday evening sessions because of low numbers and we now have the current position where the Friday session is showing low attendance numbers.
• Rebuild our membership
• Work with our Sponsors in developing an ongoing agreement in terms of financial support.   Trevor started this work during the year, but it was very much a stop/start process with the impact of COVID.
• Social Functions are a key success factor for our Keen-Agers Club.   We will aim to hold a function each quarter.   There may of course be some ad-hoc events that occur at shorter notice.
• Continue to maintain our good working relationship with the City of Greater Geelong.

Whilst my fourth year as President is over, I would like to thank all members of the Committee for their energy, support and hard work, especially under the conditions we have had during the year.   The level of the communication, dedication and un-selfish team work that each member of the Committee still demonstrates, continues to be outstanding.

During the year Marie Ford and Owen Ellis resigned from the Committee.   I would like to thank Marie and Owen for their great work.

As I mentioned, my second tenure of President is complete, however I will be re-nominating for this role.   I hope that I have your continued confidence and support.   Whilst on the topic of nominations and members participating in the Committee, I was very disappointed in the almost non-existent interest by our members in joining the Committee.   Clubs such as ours is so reliant on having a Committee, with members keen to be part of the Committee.  

I must give a heart-felt note of appreciation to Trevor Lockland and Steve Duffield for renominating, and especially for Cathy Bonavia and Leigh Dunn.   Cathy has renominated for the role of Treasurer, a role she has efficiently held and conducted for a number of years.  Leigh will continue as Secretary, a role too, that she has held for some years, and excels in.   I know that both Cathy and Leigh were keen to have a break, but as there were no nominations for their roles, they ‘stepped up again’.   A great example of their commitment to the club and their fellow members.

On a positive note, we have had five members put forward their names, to work in a sub-group, supervising the set-up of the Hall and in putting all equipment away.   Thank you to each of those members.

In conclusion, thanks also should be given to each of you, our members who again in 2021 had a stop/start time of being able to play table tennis.  We now have some form of consistency but we just need to get the number of players up, at the various morning sessions.  

What-ever challenges we face in 2022, you can be assured that which playing sessions you attend, that we will continue to have fun; make friends; be active; and enjoy our table tennis

Thank you!

Graeme Beardwood
President – Bellarine Keen-Agers Table Tennis Club
10th February 2022
Graeme Beardwood
Graeme Beardwood

Back to top Go down