Bellarine Keen-Agers Table Tennis Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

28th January 2020 AGM - President's Report

Go down

28th January 2020 AGM - President's Report Empty 28th January 2020 AGM - President's Report

Post by Admin Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:17 pm

Bellarine Keen-Agers Table Tennis Club
Annual General Meeting – 28th January 2020
President’s Report for the Period of January-December 2019

This is my second President’s Report and it’s hard to believe that it is 12 months ago, that we holding our last AGM.   It is wonderful to see how many of our members have turned up today.

Before I get too far in my report, I would remiss if I did not acknowledge and pay respect to those who are not with us today, particularly Fordon Forsyth and Argo’s wife, Betty – as well as Janice More’s husband, Don.
I also want to recognise those members who have experienced bad health, injuries and unfortunate circumstances during the year.  
As I so often mention, we are a Club and our members are like family (in fact, more so) – so our thoughts are often with and for each other.

Firstly, a few highlights of 2019 in terms of playing operations:
• We started 2019 with 58 members and finished the year with 73 (plus the 2 players who are registered through Ocean Grove).  
• At this stage, there are a few Membership Renewals for 2020 yet to come through, but we are tracking to achieve between 55 – 60 members.  Unfortunately we have lost some members due to ill-health, and other reasons.
• Just a quick snap shot of our sessions:
 49 Tuesday morning sessions – 1,074 members avg 22 - BE 14
 45 Tuesday evening sessions – 536 members avg 12 – BE 9
 46 Thursday morning sessions – 833 members avg 18 – BE 14
 46 Friday morning sessions – 589 members avg 13 – BE 14

What were some of our achievements for 2019?
• We held a number of morning teas wherein Sponsors or guests have attended – after which they have been most complimentary of our Club and operations.
• In September, we hosted 10 members from the Albury/Wodonga Keen-Agers Club for an enjoyable morning's play.   It was an opportunity to meet those from another Club with many stories exchanged over morning tea.
• Tuesday evening sessions started in February last year and very quickly the attendances increased to a level that meant that our costs were covered.
• We were successful in obtaining two Grants for our Net Project.   We received $1,500 from TTA and a further $1,560 from the City of Greater Geelong.   Both Grants combined, covered the total project cost and in fact there was $200 over, which will go towards the maintenance of the nets.
On the subject of Nets, they are still very much ‘work in progress’ as we find and develop improvements both in the way they hang and the manner in which they are installed and removed.   John Bonavia should be congratulated in the magnificent way he managed this project and his constant review in how they can be improved.
• In October, as part of the Seniors Week as supported by the City of Greater Geelong, we again held an ‘Open Day’, where several interested people attended.
• We have also held a number of social functions throughout the year, not only were they very successful but they were all well supported by our members and partners.
• Martin has continued to hold discussions with the City of Greater Geelong; State and Federal members in regards to the development of a Community Centre – ideally for seniors on the Bellarine Peninsula
• We created and launched our Club’s online Bulletin Board/Forum.   To date we have:
 29 registered members
 107 topics
 140 Posts
 Over 1,000 page views
• We continued our discussions with TTV in regard to their recognition of the Victorian Senior’s Card (which after all, TTV is sponsored by the Victorian Government).   I am pleased to see that TTV are now recognizing within their Concessional Rates (predominately for Competition Players), the Victorian Seniors Card; Victorian Health Care Card and Pensioner Concession Cards.   We would like to take some credit in driving this change by the TTV.
• We established the Facilities Sub-Committee – this came about as during the year, there was a period where most of our Committee members were away, which meant that some of the set-up work and removal activities were not smooth.   We addressed this by the formation of the Facilities Sub-Committee team, which consisted of Clem Anderson, John Marks, Norbert Heimeier and Trevor Lochland.

Each member along with John Bonavia then made sure that many of our members knew how to set up Hall in readiness for play and how the equipment was to be stored after play.   We really appreciate the work that Clem, John, Norbert and Trevor did.

We are now at the stage where both activities are conducted quickly and smoothly.   All members should be congratulated by the manner in which they ‘pitch in’

None of these achievements just happened!   The 2019 Committee worked tirelessly throughout the year to make sure these achievements came to fruition.

Now for 2020, what are some of our objectives?   They are, in no order of priority:
• Explore the possibility of holding Intra-Club visits.
• Continued review of our playing sessions to level out attendances between the three morning sessions.
• Social Functions are a key success factor for our Keen-Agers Club.   We will aim to hold a function each quarter.   There may of course be some ad-hoc events that occur at shorter notice.
• Set budget levels in our financial management with the aim that we are, at year end, in a position to pass on benefits to our members.
• Explore the potential of installing block-out blinds on the southern wall windows.
• Investigate Support Programs for those members wanting to improve their playing technique
• Maintain our awareness of other potential playing facilities on the Bellarine Peninsula that could be used by our Club.
• Continue discussions with City of Greater Geelong, State and Federal Members regarding a Community Centre on the Bellarine for seniors.
Martin in now finally making progress with the various stakeholders but there is a long way to go.
• Continue discussions with TTV in regard to:
 Recognising the Seniors Card for the Social Membership fees
 Creating a process where pro-rata TTV Membership Fees can be recognised and applied, particularly when new players wish to join in the latter part of the year.
• Maintain our good working relationship with the Marcus Hill Hall.
Whilst my second year as President is over, I would like to thank all members of the Committee for their energy, support and hard work.   The level of the communication, dedication and team work that each member of the Committee demonstrated, was outstanding.
During the year Michael Murray resigned from the Committee and now two of our Committee members, Russell Libbis and Martin Wilson will step down from the Committee.   I would like to thank Michael, Russell and Martin for their great work.
Hopefully Martin will still be closely involved with the Committee as an “Appointed Member” – continuing to assist the Committee in his work with the creation of a Community Centre on the Bellarine for seniors.

Thanks also should be given to you, our members who turn up each playing session, each social function – where we each ensuring that the Keen-Agers’ mantra continues – that is having fun; making friends; being active; and enjoying table tennis

Yes, my second year is now over and I have accepted nomination for the same role in 2020.  If successful in gaining your confidence, I will continue to be committed to the role; the Club; to the members; and to the tasks ahead.

Thank you!

Graeme Beardwood
President – Bellarine Keen-Agers Table Tennis Club
28th January 2020
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down