Bellarine Keen-Agers Table Tennis Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd March 2021 AGM - President’s Report

Go down

2nd March 2021 AGM - President’s Report Empty 2nd March 2021 AGM - President’s Report

Post by Admin Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 pm

This is my third President’s Report and it’s hard to believe that it is 12 months ago, that we holding our last AGM. It is wonderful to see how many of our members have turned up today.

It’s also hard to believe that our last playing day in 2020 was Friday March 13th and that we returned to play on Tuesday 2nd February – after a total of 46 weeks

I certainly want to recognise all members who persevered through the various periods of lockdown and restrictions and have got back into playing table tennis again. Unfortunately our member numbers are down due to either health issues; uncertainty of COVID conditions; or have simply found another avenues for their energies on what would normally be a table tennis session. We have moved from a membership base of 60 last year, to 51 now.

Normally in my annual report, I cover off the highlights that occurred during the year, but unfortunately for 2020 there were none of note – however there certainly were achievement during the year:
1.  Blockout blinds have been installed on the south facing windows. This was done just prior to the first lockdown and we should thank John for getting the blinds to the Hall and in supervising their installation
2.  As the period of COVID restrictions became more protracted, we spoke to TTV and I am pleased to say, that we played a part in initiating the TTV Membership refund to our members. A total of $1,050 (60 memberships) was received back from TTV and we refunded $787.50 across 45 members. 15 Members declined their refund and asked that their refund be classified as a Donation. In total $262.50 was involved in this regard, and we sincerely thank those 15 members for their benevolence.
3.  We have converted our accounting processes (from a trusty exercise book) to an on-line Account Package, called Wave Accounting. Acknowledgement and congratulations should be given to Cathy in this regard.  I have been involved in implementing many computer systems (both large and small) into organisations, and in that process there is always ‘someone’ who shines – they just ‘understand it’ and take to it ‘like a duck to water!’ Cathy was that person!
This package is quite intuitive, easy to use and provides a level of detail far more than we need and even better, it’s free.
4.  We managed the transition from the Marcus Hill Hall Management Committee to the City of Greater Geelong. The Marcus Hill Hall is now one of 11 Halls that now come under the direct management of the City of Greater Geelong. Whilst this has meant a slight increase in our hire rate ($18.00 to $18.75 hours), this move has been an excellent change for us and already we are seeing benefits, in terms of leaving our tables and nets up as well as the excellent communication and support services they provide.

Even though COVID impacted on our playing operations, the 2020 Committee worked throughout the year to not only make sure these achievements came to fruition but more importantly, that we kept our members informed as to what was happening. Committee meetings were held via ZOOM which was a whole new experience.

Now for 2021, bearing in mind that there is an uncertainty of what is possible with COVID being very much a part of our lives, not only now but for some time to come.  But taking a positive approach, our objectives for 2021 are, in no order of priority:
Explore the possibility of revisiting Intra-Club visits, particularly Portarlington and Ocean Grove.
Continued review of our playing sessions to level out attendances between the three morning sessions.
Rebuild our membership
1. Work with our Sponsors in developing an ongoing agreement in terms of financial support.
2.  Determine and pursue Grant opportunities that may be available to our Club either at the State Government level or through TTV or TTA. Ideally such Grant Funds would go towards additional or replacement tables
3.  Social Functions are a key success factor for our Keen-Agers Club. We will aim to hold a function each quarter. There may of course be some ad-hoc events that occur at shorter notice.
4.  Set budget levels in our financial management with the aim that we are, at year end, in a position to pass on benefits to our members.
5.  Maintain our good working relationship with the City of Greater Geelong.
6.  Work with Martin Wilson and the Bellarine Peninsula Seniors Activity Hub – Development Committee, regarding the development of a Community Centre on the Bellarine for seniors.    On this topic, you may be interested in what progress Martin and his team has been made:
-  They have compiled and presented a Proposal to the City of Greater Geelong for a feasibility study to be conducted for the development of a Bellarine Peninsula Seniors Activity Hub.
-  The Proposal was well accepted by the CoGG and they advised that $30K was to be provided for a feasibility study to be conducted by external consultants
-  In terms of time frames, they are:
   :  March 2021 - Draft Submission compiled by the Consultants for presentation to COGG
   :  May/June 2021 – Decision by City of Greater Geelong
-  This is a long project with many more ‘mile-stones’ to be reached before we can have our local Activity Hub in operation. Fortunately there is support from key State and Federal entities as well as a committed Committee led by Martin, who are focussed on achieving this key goal that our Community needs.   Martin certainly needs recognition and to be congratulated for the work he has done and is doing for our Community.

Whilst my third year as President is over, I would like to thank all members of the Committee for their energy, support and hard work, especially under the conditions we have had during the year. The level of the communication, dedication and team work that each member of the Committee still demonstrated, was outstanding.  During the year Josh Gay, Norbert Heimeier and Fiona Bond resigned from the Committee. I would like to thank Josh, Norbert and Fiona for their great work.

Finally thanks also should be given to each of you, our members who suffered table tennis withdrawal symptoms throughout 2020 and are now turning up to each playing session – where we are ensuring that the Keen-Agers’ mantra continues – that is having fun; making friends; being active; and enjoying table tennis

Thank you!

Graeme Beardwood
President – Bellarine Keen-Agers Table Tennis Club 2nd March 2021
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down